Consumers connect with your company through your brand. And like the popular girl in school, a consumer is wooed and teased by a whole mess of brands and brand activities: new product launches, brand extensions, new categories, new channels, etc.
Consumers interact with your brand on different levels:
* Brand in the society: the corporate level; issues such as the citizenship of your brand, its ethics, corporate responsibility, transparency
* Brand in the market: understanding the market drivers, and how your brand relates to its competitive environment
* Brand in the portfolio: roles and missions of your different brands in the portfolio
* The Inner brand, with different levels of brand-consumer relationships:
- Functional descriptors, the fact-driven level of your brand-product
- Functional benefits, how your products' features turn into consumer benefits
- Emotional benefits, the in-depth, intimate relationship with your brand
- Personality, the personification of your brand
- Brand Essence or Character, your brand's DNA, its ultimate nature.
Great brands take on a life of their own. Great brands endure. Great brands make the bottom line. And greatness comes from combining all these elements into one compelling sell that will successfully connect you to your consumers.